Tuesday, October 20, 2015

So good it's scary! Witches Brew Martinis

Temperatures are dropping. Darkness comes early. Spooky wind rustles the dry leaves. It must be Halloween!

Get your costume on. Then get your cocktail on.

I suggest warding off evil spirits with this festive twist on the cosmo - Witches Brew martinis. I mean, heck, you wear a costume for Halloween. Why shouldn't your drink? And truly, that's all this is.

Start here:

The Perfect Cosmopolitan
2 oz. vodka
1 oz. Triple Sec (or Cointreau when I'm feeling rich)
1 oz. cranberry juice
a dash of Rose's lime juice
juice from one fresh lime slice

Add a dash of blue food color - the trick to this treat! It turns the cosmo from pink to spooky purple.

"Haunt" your glass: I used orange sugar and plastic spiders. Pour the sugar onto a small plate and dip the lime-wiped top of the glass into it. Swirl the glass in the rimmer until you get a nice even coating. For the spiders, I used a school glue stick to attach them to the glass. It worked perfectly and cleaned up easily. Someone suggested I put dry ice in the bottom - I didn't do that, but I think it's a cool idea.

Measure: For a single martini, I use a shot glass and pour the ingredients right into the shaker. Usually, however, I am making them for a group. I measure everything into a 4-cup glass measuring cup so I can use the markings on the side for my proportions. Measure the vodka, triple sec, and cranberry first. Then add the Rose's and fresh lime. PARTY TIP: Make a pitcher before the guests arrive to save time during the party.

Shake: The shaking is key. I find it makes a big difference when I really shake vigorously for about 30 seconds. It's about more than just mixing the ingredients; it's getting them so cold and agitated that they're almost frothy and slushy.

Pour into rimmed and decorated glass.

Drink up, witches!

sip.  savor.  celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment